Historic Markers Across Georgia



Woodmanston Plantation



Marker ID: LCHS 
Location: 4.9 miles west from U.S. 17/Ga. 25, 2.3 miles north of Riceboro
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 42.331    W 081° 29.275
  31.70552394    -81.48791456
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1MZP
 



Text:

Established in 1760 by William and John Eatton LeConte, Woodmanston became one of Georgia´s earliest inland swamp rice plantations. In spite of Indian attacks and marauding armies during the Revolution, Woodmanston prospered.

In 1810 control of Woodmanston passed to Louis LeConte, John Eatton´s son. Louis spent much of his time creating a botanical garden which became world famous for its collection of bulbs and camellias. Louis died in 1838 and his garden was eventually lost.

Two of Louis LeConte´s children, John and Joseph, became professors at the University of California at Berkley. John became the university´s first president. Joseph is remembered for his geological research and as a founder of the Sierra Club.

In 1973 Woodmanston was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

ERECTED 1996 BY THE LIBERTY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY



 

 

089-A24