Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lumpkin Court House



Marker ID: WPA US 19 B-7
Location: on Public Square South, east of South Chestatee St (Business U.S. 19), Dahlonega, GA
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 34° 31.94    W 083° 59.09
  34.53233333    -83.98483333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Lumpkin Court House Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Lumpkin Court House



This court house, built in 1836, replaced the small log structure used since the establishment of Lumpkin County in 1832. The town was named Dahlonega in October, 1833, for the Cherokee word “Talonega” meaning “golden.”

From its steps in 1849, Dr. M.F. Stephenson, assayor at the Mint, attempted to dissuade Georgia miners from leaving to join the California gold rush. His oration gave rise to the sayings: "There’s millions in it," and “Thar’s gold in them thar hills.”



The view of the old Court House, now the Dahlonega Gold Museum State Historic Site, from the marker
Lumpkin Court House
Photo by David Seibert



 

089-A40