Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colonel's Island



Marker ID: LCHS 
Location: on Ga 38 at Kings Road on Colonel's Island
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 42.612    W 081° 16.972
  31.71019972    -81.2828704
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Colonel's Island Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Until about 1778 this island was called Colonel´s Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included ´Woodville,´ ´Herron´s POint,´ ´Maxwellton,´ ´Suligree,´ ´Maybank,´ ´Black Rock,´ ´Laws,´ ´Cedar Point,´ ´Hickory Hill,´ ´Dunham´s,´ and ´Melon Bluff.´

Rice and indigo were the principal money crops grown on Colonel´s Island during the antebellum era. During the War Between the States the island was also a source of salt, an essential ingredient in the making of gunpowder.

Long before European exploreres reached North America Colonel´s Island was a part of the Guale Indian kingdom of the Creek Nation.

Erected 1996 by the Liberty County Historical Society




Colonel's Island
Photo by David Seibert



 

089-A5