Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dr. Lyman Hall



Marker ID: DAC 
Location: US 17/Ga 25 at Midway Church, Midway
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 48.331    W 081° 25.822
  31.80551471    -81.43036245
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1M7K
 



Text:

Dr. Lyman hall was a Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence. He represented Saint John´s Parish in the Continental Congress, and was a delegate from Georgia to the Second Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia.

He was a founder of Sunbury and as governor of Georgia (1783-1784) he gave strong support to education and religion. He was instrumental in obtaining the grant of land which led to the establishment of the University Of Georgia.

Born in Wallingford, Connecticut, April 12, 1724, Dr. Hall moved to Saint John´s Parish where he purchased the plantation now known as Hall´s Knoll. He became a leading physician, planter, patriot, and was active in mercantile and shipping circle in Sunbury.

Dr. Hall died in 1790 and was buried on his plantation at shell bluff landing in Burke County. In 1848, his remains were re-interred in Augusta, beneath the granite obelisk, 'The Signers´ monument.´

Daughters of the American Colonists Plaque



 

 

089-A6