Historic Markers Across Georgia



First African Baptist Church



Marker ID: LCHS 
Location: on Ga 119 at Barrington Ferry Rd, west of US 17/Ga 25
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 44.847    W 081° 27.788
  31.74744464    -81.46313088
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1MZM
First African Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

The First African Baptist Church, the oldest black church in Liberty County, had its origins in the North Newport Baptist Church, founded in 1809. In 1818 the North Newport Church, composed of both white and black members, purchased this site and erected a church building here which had a gallery for the slave members. In 1854 the North Newport Church moved to Walthourville, but the black members in this area continued to use the old building.

In 1861 the black members formed their own church organization and the first black pastor was the Reverend Charles Thin. On July 20, 1878 the North Newport Church sold the building to A. M. McIver for $225 for use by the First African Baptist Church.

One of the early white pastors of this church was the Reverend Josiah Spry Law to whom a cenotaph was erected here in 1854 by both blacks and whites.

Three other neighboring churches have been formed from the membership of this church: First Zion Baptist Church in 1870, First African Baptist Church of Jones in 1896, and Baconton Baptist Church in 1897.

ERECTED 1996 BY THE LIBERTY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY



 

 

089-A7