Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gum Branch Baptist Church



Marker ID: LCHS 
Location: Ga 196 at Gum Branch
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 51.544    W 081° 43.487
  31.85906778    -81.72478946
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Gum Branch Baptist Church Marker
Photo by onfire4jesus



Text:

This church was organized in 1833 as the Gum Branch Primitive Baptist Church by members of Beard´s Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Among the charter members were Samuel and David Delk. The land for the church was given by Fashau Long, Jr.

In 1838 a church building was erected to replace the brush arbor meeting place. Leaders at this time were James N. Mobley, Albert Mobley, A.B. Flowers, Evan Wells, J.N. Tatum, John and Jeremiah Baker, and Augustus Delk. The earliest known pastor was the Reverend Lewis Price, Jr. 1860- 61.

Gum Branch Church was a member of the Baptist Union Association until 1908 when it became a member of the New Sunbury Baptist Association. The church began having full time services in February 1949.

Erected 1996 by the Liberty County Historical Society




Gum Branch Baptist Church
Photo by onfire4jesus



 

089-A8