Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lincoln County



Marker ID: GHM 090-2
Location: Courthouse in Lincolnton, GA
County: Lincoln
Coordinates: N 33° 47.686    W 082° 28.543
  33.79476    -82.47571
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6QP5
Lincoln County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Lincoln County was created by Act of Feb. 20, 1796 from Wilkes County. It was named for Maj. Gen. Benjamin Lincoln (1733-1810) of Hingham, Mass., who held the Chief Command of the Southern Department in the Continental Army. In 1781 he became Secty. of War. In 1789 he was appointed Collector of the Port of Boston. First County Officers, commissioned Sept. 15, 1796, were: James Hughes, Sheriff; Wm. Dowsing, Clerk Inf. Court; Abner Tatom, Clerk Sup. Court; Britain Lockhart, Coroner; Joel Lockhart, Surveyor; John Middleton, Reg. of Probate. In 1798 John Seale became Tax Col. and Edward Smith, Tax Rec.

GHM 090-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

090-2