Historic Markers Across Georgia



Long County



Marker ID: GHM 091-1
Location: 1 Courthouse in Ludowici
County: Long
Coordinates: N 31° 42.457    W 081° 44.486
  31.707612    -81.74143951
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1N8P
 



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 14, 1920, is named for Dr. Crawford W. Long who first used ether as an anaesthetic in a surgical operation, at Jefferson, Ga., March 30, 1842. Born in Danielsville Nov. 1, 1815, Dr. Long was a raduae of Franklin College (now U. of Ga.). Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff W.R. Wilkinson, Clerk of Superior Court C.E. Dawson, Ordinary T.J. Harrington, Tax Receiver J. McL. Cameron, Tax Collector L.M. Branch and Surveyor M.C. Sarrason.

GHM 091-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

091-1