Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Barrington Road



Marker ID: GHM 091-4
Location: Ga 57 4.3 miles southeast of Ludowici
County: Long
Coordinates: N 31° 39.992    W 081° 41.895
  31.66653508    -81.69824321
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 14, 1920, is named for Dr. Crawford W. Long who first used ether as an anaesthetic in a surgical operation, at Jefferson, Ga., March 30, 1842. Born in Danielsville Nov. 1, 1815, Dr. Long was a graduate of Franklin College (now U. of Ga.). Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff W.R. Wilkinson, Clerk of Superior Court C.W. Dawson, Ordinary T.J. Harrington, Tax Receiver J. McL. Cameron, Tax Collector T.H. Smiley, Treasurer R.D. Easterling, Coroner L.M. Branch and Surveyor M.C. Sarrason.

GHM 091-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

091-4