Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lowndes County



Marker ID: GHM 092-1
Location: Courthouse in Valdosta
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 30° 49.952    W 083° 16.735
  30.83254051    -83.27892303
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4NRC
Lowndes County Marker  



Text:

Lowndes County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature December 23, 1825, from lands previously in Irwin County. It was named for William J. Lowndes, a South Carolina statesman. The first count officers commissioned May 29, 1836, were Henry Blair, Clerk of the Superior Court; William Smith, Ordinary; Normal Campbell, Tax Collector; William Hancock, Sheriff; Malachi Monk, cornoer and Samuel M. Clyatt, Surveyor. The first state senator was William A. Knight and the first representative was Jonathan Knight for Lowndes County.

Lowndes County has had three county seats: Frankllinville, Lowndesville (later changed to Troupville) and Valdosta.

GHM 092-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1978



 

 

092-1