Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lowndes Court House - Removed



Marker ID: GHM 092-1
Location: Courthouse in Valdosta
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 30° 49.944    W 083° 16.75
  30.83239174    -83.27915955
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Lowndes County was created by an act of the Legislature Dec. 23, 1825 from lands previously in Irwin County and named for William Lowndes, a South Carolina statesman. The first county officers commissioned May 29, 1826, were William Hancock, sheriff; Samuel M. Clyatt, surveyor; Henry Blair, clerk of the Superior and Inferior courts, and Malachi Monk, coroner.

The first State Senator from Lowndes was William A. Knight and the first representative was his son, Jonathan Knight. It was the first instance of a father and son being the first representatives of a new county in the legislative halls.


Source: Georgia Historical Markers; by Carroll Proctor Scruggs; Bay Tree Grove publishing, 1973; page 336



 

 

092-1A