Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Carnegie Library



Marker ID: VTC 
Location: At old library on Central (US 84) west of Oak St, Valdosta
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 30° 49.838    W 083° 16.968
  30.83063889    -83.28279877
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4NRM
Old Carnegie Library Marker  



Text:

Inspired by a grant of $15,000 from Andrew Carnegie, citizens constructed this building as a Carnegie Library in 1913, for $40,000. This was the first public building designed by local Architect Llhoyd B. Greer and was formally opened June 1914. The facility became inadequate, and the south GA, regional library was built on Woodrow Wilson Dr. in 1988. Until 1976 the Carnegie Library was a branch library. In April 1977, the Lowdes Co. Historical Society occupied the building, using it as a museum and headquarters.

The Valdosta Town Committee, 1993



 

 

092-A1