Historic Markers Across Georgia



Valdosta Street Railroad Company Waiting Station, 1917



Marker ID: VTC 
Location: on N Pattersoon at north of Brookwood Dr., Valdosta, GA
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 30° 50.898    W 083° 17.246
  30.8483    -83.28743333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM908
Valdosta Street Railroad Company Waiting Station, 1917 Marker
Photo by Markerman



Text:

The waiting station erected for the ladies at South Ga. State Normal College (in 1950, Valdosta State College), is all that remains of the streetcar system. The electric railroad was begun in 1899 to accommodate the 1900 State Fair at Pine Park (from Patterson to Williams, Park, High, and Moore Sts.). The company ceased operations in Dec. 1924. The tracks were salvaged in the 1940's for the scrap metal drive of World War II. The streetcar was vital to the city's growth toward the North, a trend that has continued.

Valdosta Town Committee
1993




Valdosta Street Railroad Company Waiting Station, 1917
Photo by Markerman



 

092-A11