Historic Markers Across Georgia



Valdosta Institute



Marker ID: VTC 
Location: Opposite old library on Central (US84) W of Oak St, Valdosta
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 30° 49.849    W 083° 16.973
  30.83082199    -83.28287506
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4NRE
Valdosta Institute Marker  



Text:

S. M. Varnedoe was administrator of a ten-grade private school. The Valdosta Institute, 1885 - 70. Famous among its students was J. H. "Doc" Holiday. The Masong and several churches also used the institute as a meeting place. After the purchase in 1885, of the property from the Wells Estate. A new brick building was constructed. In 1895 the Valdosta Institute became a public school. The brick building continued to house sections of the public school until it was razes in 1958.

The Valdosta Town Committee, 1983



 

 

092-A3