Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old City Hall



Marker ID: VTC 
Location: 100 Block of S. Ashley Street (US 41)
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 30° 49.862    W 083° 16.67
  30.83103561    -83.27783966
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM59Q1
Old City Hall Marker  



Text:

Site of the Old City Hall at Ashley St. and Hill Ave. The City Hall, a brick and granite two-story structure built in 1895, was "the ornament of the town" with its 70-ft. Clock Tower. For 63 years it served as A City Hall, as the City Library until 1913, and as a public gathering place with an auditorium that could seat 600 persons for plays, operas, and traveling shows. By 1958 the City Government had outgrown this building and moved to new facilities on N. Toombs Street.

The Valdosta Town Committee, 1993



 

 

092-A5