Historic Markers Across Georgia



Drexel Park



Marker ID: GHS 92-1
Location: Brookwood and N. Patterson Streets, Valdosta, GA
County: Lowndes
Coordinates: N 30° 50.757    W 083° 17.195
  30.84594345    -83.28657532
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM53C6
Drexel Park  Marker  



Text:

In 1916 five prominent Valdosta businessmen and civic leaders--William S. West, Lowndes W. Shaw, Leonard F. Shaw, Daniel C. Ashley, and Owen K. Jones--donated 11 acres to the city to create a public park. The deed stipulated that the property could only be used as a park. A section was set aside in 1925 for construction of the Woman´s Building, still an important social and civic center for women´s organizations and activities. Originally named Brookwood Park, the land was renamed in 1979 for Richard J. Drexel, a landscape architect who served from 1925 to 1959 as the city´s first Superintendent of Parks. Located at the corner of N. Patterson and Brookwood Streets in Valdosta.

92-1 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Lowndes County Historical Society, and the City of Valdosta 2001



 

 

092-HS1