Historic Markers Across Georgia



Auraria



Marker ID: GHM 093-5
Location: Ga 9E at Auraria, between Ga 136 and US 19
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 28.467    W 084° 01.427
  34.47445    -84.02378333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4EXY
Auraria  Marker  



Text:

Auraria, (Gold), in 1832 the scene of Georgia´s first gold rush, was named by John C. Calhoun owner of a nearby mine worked by Calhoun slaves. Auraria and Dahlonega were the two real gold towns in the U.S. before 1849. Between 1829 and 1839 about $20,000,000 in gold was mined in Georgia´s Cherokee country.

From Auraria in 1858 the "Russel boys", led by Green Russell, went west and established another Auraria near the mouth of Cherry Creek that later became Denver Col., Green Russell uncovered a fabulous lode called Russell Gulch near which was built Central City, Colo, "Richest square mile on earth."

GHM 093-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISION 1954



 

 

093-5