Historic Markers Across Georgia



Price Memorial Building



Marker ID: GHM 093-9
Location: US 19 at Campus of North Georgia College, Dahlonega
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 31.827    W 083° 59.254
  34.53045    -83.98756666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1EPM
Price Memorial Building  Marker  



Text:

Erected here in 1837 was a U.S. Branch Mint which operated until seized by the Confederates in 1861. It produced gold coins estimated to exceed $6,000,000.00 in value. In 1871 the mint building and ten acres of land were transferred to the state for use as an agricultural college, largely through the efforts in Congress of Representative William Pierce Price, founder of North Georgia College and President of its Board of Trustees until his death in 1908. The mint building was destroyed by fire in 1878 and in the following year a second building was constructed on the old foundation walls. The new structure came to serve as the college administration building and in 1934 by action of the state Board of Regents was named the Price Memorial Building to honor the founder.
Leafing of the steeple with gold from the surrounding hills was sponsored by the Dahlonega Club to commemorate in 1973 the 100th anniversary of the college.

093-9 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1973



 

 

093-9