Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dahlonega Stories / Hall House



Marker ID:  
Location: Public Square N, Dahlonega, GA
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 31.972    W 083° 59.116
  34.53286666    -83.98526666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMWQHQ
 



Text:

Dahlonega Stories


Frank W. Hall erected this building called "Hall House" circa 1881 to provide lodging for travelers and a residence for himself. He came to Dahlonega from Vermont in 1868 as a mining superintendent. Hall patented his own design for improving the existing stamp mills used to process gold. Over the years, he acquired many gold-mining properties and town lots and was known as "the richest person in Lumpkin County."

Hall House was sturdily built of the best materials and has been in constant use over the years. Small panes of stained glass outlining the upstairs windows added a touch of elegance. A massive brick firewall was erected as a protective buffer in case of fire next door.

When the Moore family acquired the property, the name changed to the "Robert M. Moore Building." The upper floors, formerly rented as apartments, have now been remodeled to house various businesses.



 

 

093-A08