Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lumpkin Court House



Marker ID: WPA 19 B-7
Location: East edge of courthouse square in Dahlonega
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 31.940    W 083° 59.080
  34.53233333    -83.98466666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1EN6
Lumpkin Court House Marker  



Text:

This court house, built in 1836, replaced the small log structure used since the establishment of Lumpkin County in 1832. The town was named Dahlonega in October, 1833, for the Cherokee word "Talonega" meaning "golden."

From its steps in 1849, Dr. M.F. Stephenson, assayor [sic] at the Mint, attempted to dissuade Georgia miners from leaving to join the California gold rush. His oration gave rise to the sayings: "There´s millions in it," and ["]Thar´s gold in them thar hills



 

 

093-A1