Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dahlonega Stories / Head Building



Marker ID:  
Location: Public Square, Dahlonega, GA
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 31.941    W 083° 59.066
  34.53235    -83.98443333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMWRA2
 



Text:

Dahlonega Stories


Doctor Homer Head erected this building in 1910 to house his medical office upstairs and the Bank of Dahlonega on the main floor. The old bank vault and a rare cannonball safe are still visible. The structure is made of concrete blocks molded on the exterior to resemble hewn stone. W. B. Fry, former owner of the Smith House, purchased the property in 1963 for his Dahlonega Loan Company. Since 1986 various businesses have rented the building.



 

 

093-A11