Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hall's Block



Marker ID:  
Location: Public Square N, Dahlonega, GA
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 31.975    W 083° 59.123
  34.53291666    -83.98538333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMWQJ1
 



Text:

Hall's Block
Established 1983


Hall's Block was built between 1882 and 1883 by Captain Frank W. Hall to house his Merchandise Company. Captain Hall came to Dahlonega from Vermont in 1867 as a gold-mining equipment salesman and engineer. He also served as a legislator, mayor, and postmaster for Lumpkin County, and trustee for North Georgia College and the public school system.

Hall's residence was in the building where the Smith House is now located, under which his mineshaft, hidden for over a century, was uncovered in 2006. His real estate holdings also included the Hall Office next door and the Hall House next to it.

Hall became the richest man in Lumpkin County prior to his death in 1901. From 1920 to 1962, Hall's Block was occupied by Jon Moore as Moore's Store, a genuine general mercantile store.

The butcher shop and grocery business was carried on through the 1980ss by Helmer and Burgess. Today, a part of Dahlonega's history is kept alive by the building's current owner, local merchant and businessman, C. Jon Stone.

HALL'S BLOCK IS RECOGNIZED WITH THE
DAHLONEGA HISTORIC COMMERCIAL DISTRICT
AS LISTED ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES



 

 

093-A12