Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Town of Auraia  - Removed



Marker ID: WPA 19 B-11
Location: GA 9 west of Dahlonega
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates:   
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The town of Auraria, first known as, Nuckollsville, 4 miles south, sprang up in 1832 during the North Georgia gold rush and its name, meaning "gold," was selected by Senator John C. Calhoun. In ten months it had a population of 1000 and one of the First Newspapers in Cherokee section, but lost the county seat to the then smaller Dahlonega. Today only a few houses remain, but gold is still mined in the Vicinity.



 
Notes:

The marker is no longer there