Historic Markers Across Georgia



Establishment of the Dahlonega Mint



Marker ID:  
Location: At the Old Court House on West Main Street between Chestatree Street and Park Street in Dahlonega.
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 31.807    W 083° 59.235
  34.53011666    -83.98725
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WM762F
Establishment of the Dahlonega Mint Marker  



Text:

In commemoration of the Establishment of the Dahlonega Mint
Here, in 1838, the United states Government established a branch mint. By 1861, when taken over by the Confederacy, it had minted $6,115,569 in gold coins. The building, transferred to the State of Georgia in 1871 for educational purposes burned in 1878. The present building was erected in 1879 upon the old foundations of the mint.
Department of Natural Resources
Division of State Parks, Historic Sites & Monuments

The Dahlonaga Women´s Club 1938



 

 

093-A4