Historic Markers Across Georgia



Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace



Marker ID:  
Location: on Hawkins St west of N Chestatee St, Dahlonega, GA.
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates: N 34° 31.996    W 083° 59.206
  34.53326666    -83.98676666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Dr. Joseph J. Singleton, first superintendent of the Dahlonega mint, purchased this property in 1836 and built a home the following year. His wife, Mary Ann Singleton, joined the Dahlonega Baptist Church by letter on September 1, 1838, the day the church was constituted. Dr. Singleton was a member of the building committee of the first church structure. The handsome Colonial style home of the Singleton family burned c. 1855.

A. G. Wimpy, an early merchant in Dahlonega, purchased the property in 1856 in build an attractive home known as "Rose Hill", "Uncle Archie" and ""Aunt Nancy" had no children of their own but raised 10 orphans.

In 1900, the Wimpy homeplace was purchased by Dr. B.P. Gaillard, who came to Dahlonega in 1873 as professor of mathematics, latin and natural science of North Georgia Agricultural College. He remained on the faculty until 1922, a span of 49 years.

The fine Antebellum home stood empty of years and burned in 1963. The lot was empty until purchased by the Dahlonega Baptist Church in 1991.

The bricks of the base of this marker are from the original entrance to the home.

Sponsored by the Lumpkin County historical Society, Inc.



 

 

093-A5