Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gold Dahlonega



Marker ID: WPA 19 B-8
Location: Placed on the south side of the Gold Museum by the WPA in 1941. The marker is no longer standing.
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Gold in the original gold veins was first discovered in Georgia in 1828 by Benjamin Parks 3 miles south in what was then Cherokee Indian territory. The resulting gold rush hastened the exodus of the In Indians an settled the region. The discovery mine, known as the Calhoun, was later owned and operated by Senator John C. Calhoun of South Carolina. Others operated it at intervals and periodically have made discoveries of ore.