Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dahlonega Mint



Marker ID: WPA 19 B-9
Location: Placed by the WPA at the entrance of North Georgia College in 1939. The marker is no longer there.
County: Lumpkin
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The building, with the tower, is built on the foundations of the U. S. Branch Mint, established in 1837 and operated until 1861, minting gold coins to the amount of $6,115,596. The Mint building was transferred to the State of Georgia for educational purposes in 1871 and burned in 1878. The present building, erected in 1878, is now the Administration Building of the North Georgia College.