Historic Markers Across Georgia



McDuffie County



Marker ID: GHM 094-2
Location: Courthouse on Main St, Thomson, GA
County: McDuffie
Coordinates: N 33° 28.163    W 082° 30.274
  33.46939    -82.50456
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6QJE
McDuffie County Marker  



Text:

McDuffie County < strong>


McDuffie County was created by Act of Oct. 18, 1870 from Columbia and Warren Counties. It was named for George McDuffie (1788-1851). Born in Columbia (now Warren County, Ga.), he became a political leader in S.C. He was a Maj. Gen. of Militia, Congressman, Governor and Senator. A political sponsor of Calhoun, he was a notable orator. First Officers of McDuffie County, commissioned Feb. 11, 1871, were: A.B. Thrasher, Ord.; J.T. Stovall, Sheiff; R.H. Pearce, Clk. Sup. Ct.; J.D. Montgomery, Tax Rec.; H.W. Young, Tax Col.; John R. Wilson, Sur.; B.E. Pearce, Treas.; R.T. Blanchard, Coroner.





094-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION ) 1956



 

McDuffie County


 

094-2