Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wrightsboro



Marker ID: GHM 094-5
Location: At Wrightsboro on Wrightsboro/Stagecoach Rd, 4 mi W of US 78
County: McDuffie
Coordinates: N 33° 33.043    W 082° 34.305
  33.55072    -82.57175
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6Q7M
Wrightsboro Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On this site in 1754, Edmund Grey, a pretending Quaker, founded the town of Brandon, named for one of its leaders. In Dec. 1768, Joseph Mattock and Jonathan Sell, Quakers, obtained a grant of 40,000 acres from the Royal Governor, Sir James Wright, revived the town and renamed it Wrightsboro, in his homor. By 1775 over 60 families had settled in the town and 200 in the township-all Quaker. During the Rev- olutionary War the fort here, Fort Wrightsboro, was commanded by Captain Thomas White. John Louis Porter edited the newspaper "The Village Wreathe." Sherwood Roberts kept the inn.

GHM 094-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

094-5