Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Rock House



Marker ID: GHM 094-9
Location: 4 mi NW of Thomson on Rock House/Twin Oaks Rd (off Ga 223)
County: McDuffie
Coordinates: N 33° 28.931    W 082° 33.476
  33.48219    -82.55793
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3MM0
The Rock House Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

This 18th century dwelling is the only surviving house associated with the Colonial Wrightsboro Settlement (1768). Its builder, Thomas Ansley, used weathered granite, quarried in its natural form from the nearby geographic fall line ads building material. The granite, along with pine timbers and cypress shingles gave the house a distinctive Georgia character. The architectural atyle of the Rock House is similar to stone homes in the Delaware Valley of New Jersey, from which Ansley migrated. It is the earliest dwelling in Georgia with its original architectural form intact. Ownership of the Rock House passed to Nicholas C. Bacon in the 1840´s and in the 1880´s to the Johnson family who maintained it as a working plantation until the 20th Century. Johnson heirs Effie Johnson Usry and Mary Ruth Johnson McNeill gave the house to the Wrightsboro Quaker Community Foundation, Inc. in 1955, who restored the house in 1981.

GHM 094-9 Georgia Historical Commission 1990



 

 

094-9