Historic Markers Across Georgia



Usry Plantation House



Marker ID:  
Location: This Marker is located in front of the historic Usry Plantation House On Millage Street close to downtown Thomson.
County: McDuffie
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The house is a beautifully preserved NeoClassic plantation house surrounded by gardens and a white wooden fence. A treasure located in the heart of town. Usry House built by William Usry about 1795 as the seat of his extensive cotton plantations. Usry House became the center of Antebellum social activity in this region . In its parlor the Goodrich Usry Railroad was conceived and lafayette reputedly hosted. Architecturally it is along Neoclassical lines and its suspended balcony is one of the largest in the south. The builder of Usry House was a greatgrandson of Sir Robert Usry of England, founder of the family in America. Its owner is a seventh generation grandson of the builder.

National Register of Historic Places)