Historic Markers Across Georgia



Usry House



Marker ID:  
Location: 211 Milledge Street, Thomson, GA
County: McDuffie
Coordinates: N 33° 27.996    W 084° 30.292
  33.4666    -84.50486666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Usry  House Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Built by William Usry about 1795 as the seat of his extensive cotton plantations, Usry House early became the center of ante-bellum social life in this region.

In its parlor, the Goodrich-Usry Railroad was conceived, and Lafayette reputedly hosted. Architecturally, it is along neo-classical lines; and its suspended balcony is one of the largest in the South.

The builder of Usry House was a great-grandson of Sir Robert Usry, of England, founder of the family in America. Its owner is a seventh generation grandson of the builder.

National Register of Historic Places




Usry  House
Photo by David Seibert



 

094-A5