Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Barrington



Marker ID: GHM 095-14
Location: Located on US 17 /GA 25 at the junction with GA 251, 1 mile north of Darien.
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 23.171    W 81° 26.021
  31.38618333    -81.40153
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PCM
Fort Barrington Marker  



Text:

Fort Barrington, about twelve miles west of here on the Altamaha River, was built in 1751. Lieut. Robert Baillie, in charge of construction, commanded the post for several years.

Named Fort Howe during the Revolution, the fort played a vital part in that War, guarding the most dangerous land pass on the Southern Frontier of Georgia. In constant peril from British forces and their Indian allies, the fort was the scene of several battles and skirmishes

Confederate troops were stationed on the site during the War Between the States.

GHM 095-14 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

Fort Barrington


 

095-14