Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Andrew's Cemetery



Marker ID: GHM 095-15
Location: 5 Ga 99, 1.4 miles east of US 17/Ga 25, Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 22.76    W 081° 25.033
  31.37933758    -81.41720879
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PZ9
St. Andrew's Cemetery Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

At the end of this avenue, on high land overlooking the creeks and marshes, Thomas Spalding of Sapelo established his family burial ground. For many years the Spaldings and their kinsmen were buried there.

In 1867, Charles Spalding, son of Thomas Spalding, gave to Saint Andrew´s Episcopal Church in Darien the land surrounding the family plot, to be used perpetually as a cemetery. On February 20, 1876, the right Reverend Dr. Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia, consecrated the ground now known as St. Andrew´s Cemetery.

GHM 095-15 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



St. Andrew's Cemetery
St. Andrew's Cemetery
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-15