Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old River Road



Marker ID: GHM 095-17
Location: US 17/Ga 25 at the Ga 251 junction, 1 mile north of Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 23.166    W 081° 25.995
  31.38609968    -81.43325514
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM1PCN
Old River Road Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

The River Road has changed but little in location since its beginning as a Military Route in 1739. Scottish Highlanders first marched over it on their way to invade Spanish Florida, and troops have used it in three wars ­ the War with Spain, the Revolution, and the War Between the States. As a civilian highway, this served first as the road to Fort Barrington and the Ferry, later as an important link in the old Macon to Darien highway, over which planters in their carriages, stage coaches, and riders carrying the U.S. mail, traveled during the early 19th century.

GHM 095-17 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957




Old River Road
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-17