Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Meeting House



Marker ID: GHM 095-22
Location: US 17/Ga 25 8.1 miles north of Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 28.916    W 081° 26.657
  31.48194035    -81.4442814
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3JMJ
Old Meeting House Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

Two hundred yards west of this spot stood the ´Old Meeting House,´ built before 1750 to serve the Scottish Presbyterians of the District of Darien. A landmark in Colonial days, it was in use until after the Revolutionary War, both as a church and as a meeting place for the citizens of St. Andrew´s Parish on important occasions. It was here that the ´Darien Committee´ met on January 12, 1775, to choose their delegates to the Provincial Congress at Savannah, and to adopt the six Resolutions which are today among our treasured Revolutionary documents.

GHM 095-22 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957




Old Meeting House
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-22