Historic Markers Across Georgia



General's Island



Marker ID: GHM 095-23
Location: US 17/Ga 25 0.8 mile south of Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 21.746    W 081° 26.376
  31.36243871    -81.43960385
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PQK
General's Island Marker  



Text:

This island was the property of General Lachlan McIntosh by a grant of 1758, and was the principal home of his family up to and during the early years of the Revolution. The island was in rice cultivation for many years.

In 1808, a Canal, called General´s Cut, was dug through the island to connect the Darien River with the middle branch of the Altamaha, ´for the convenience of the adjoining planters.´ This Cut, located a short distance east of here, was later used to ferry between Darien and the southern plantations of the Delta.

GHM 095-23 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

General's Island


 

095-23