Historic Markers Across Georgia



Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: GHM 095-26
Location: Fort King George Drive and Rittenhouse Street, Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 22.015    W 081° 25.921
  31.36691116    -81.43202302
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PQM
Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

Saint Cyprian´s Episcopal Church in Darien was built ´for the Colored People of McIntosh County,´ through the eforts of the Rev. James Wentworth Leigh, D.D., F.S.A., Dean of Hereford, England. It was named for the martyred African Bishop.

Contributions toward the building of the church edifice were received from England, Philadelphia and from local citizens. Members of the congregation led by the Senior Warden, Lewis Jackson, gave devotedly of their time and labor.

Saint Cyprian´s church edifice was consecrated Sunday April 30, 1876, by the Rt. Rev. John W. Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia, and placed under the guardianship of Saint Andrew´s Episcopal Church in Darien, of which the Rev. Robert Clute was then Rector.

GHM 095-26 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church
Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-26