Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Thicket Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins



Marker ID: GHM 095-27
Location: Ga 99, 5.4 miles east of US 17/Ga 25 near Ridgeville
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 25.873    W 081° 23.65
  31.43122485    -81.39415938
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PZA
The Thicket Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

On the banks of Carnochan Creek, a short distance East of here, are the ruins of a famous Sugar Mill and Rum Distillery operated early in the 19th century.

These buildings, constructed of tabby by William Carnochan on his huge sugar plantation at ´The Thicket,´ followed closely plans laid out by Thomas Spalding of Sapelo. The sugar works and rum distillery were operated successfully on a commercial scale until 1824, when a hurricane tore off the roof and upper story of the mill and cane barn, and destroyed other buildings.

GHM 095-27 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957




The Thicket Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-27