Historic Markers Across Georgia



Darien Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 095-28
Location: West of US 17/Ga 25 at Jackson and West Third Sts, Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 22.303    W 081° 26.171
  31.37171263    -81.43617956
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PPB
Darien Presbyterian Church Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

Darien was the Cradle of Presbyterianism in Georgia, as the first Presbyterian Church in the colony was established by Scottish Higlanders who settled this town in January, 1736. the Scots broguht with them their minister, the Rev. John McLeod, of the Isle of Skye. immediately upon their arrival at what is now Lower Bluff, one mile East of this site, they built a Chapel for Divine Worship, and there the Rev. John McLeod preached during his ministry in Darien.

Later, the Meeting House was built about eight miles North of Darien on the Savannah road, to serve the people of St. Andrew´s Parish, at that time almost entirely Presbyterian.

In 1808 the first Presbyterian Church of Darien received its charter, and a building was ereceted near the center of the town. This was later burnedm and for a time services were held in another building in the vicinity.

A place of worship, built on this site and dedicated in January of 1876, was later destroyed by fire. the present edifice was constructed in 1900.

GHM 095-28 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



Darien Presbyterian Church
Darien Presbyterian Church
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-28