Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jonesville



Marker ID: GHM 095-29
Location: US 17/Ga 25 0.6 mi S of the South Newport River, S. Newport
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 38.039    W 081° 23.799
  31.63398842    -81.3966535
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1QYJ
Jonesville Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

<-- 6 mi. --

The site of the village of Jonesville, so named for its first settler, Samuel Jones, is about 6 miles West of this road. There, early in the Revolution, McGirth with British forces attacked a small garrison at Moses Way´s stockade and a fierce battle took place, ending in the defeat of McGirth. In 1843, a Congregational Church was chartered at Jonesville, with Nathaniel Varnedoe, Wm. Jones and Moses L. Jones, Trustees. The village became a refuge for women, children and invalids from the Coast when that area was blockaded by Federal gunboats during the War Between the States.

GHM 095-29 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957




Jonesville
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-29