Historic Markers Across Georgia



South Newport Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 095-31
Location: US 17/Ga 25 at Ga 131 junction, 0.4 mi S of S. Newport River
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 38.225    W 081° 23.718
  31.63708482    -81.39529243
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1QYK
South Newport Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

This Church was organized by the Rev. Charles O. Screven at Harris Neck, 7 miles West of here, during the early 1800´s. as the Harris Neck Baptist Church, it was admitted to the Sunburry Baptist Association November 12, 1824. In the early 1830´s, the Church was moved to this site and became the South Newport Baptist Church. On December 9, 1841, the South Newport Baptist Church was chartered, the Trustees named: charles W. Thorpe, Gideon B. Dean, Thomas K. Gould. William J. Cannon, Henry J. White. The present edifice is the second erected on this site.

GHM 095-31 Georgia Historical Commission 1957




South Newport Baptist Church
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-31