Historic Markers Across Georgia



Darien's Railroad and Depot



Marker ID: GHS 95-1
Location: Columbus Square, Franklin and Madison Sts, Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 22.264    W 081° 25.931
  31.37107192    -81.43219085
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PP9
Darien's Railroad and Depot Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

In 1889 the Darien Shortline Railroad was organized to transport yellow pine timber to the Darien sawmills from Georgia´s interior. Originating in Tattnall County and continuing through Liberty County, the Darien & Western line was completed in 1895 to its terminus near this spot where a passenger depot was built, now marked by the gazebo. In 1906 the line was bought by the Georgia Coast & Piedmont Railroad, which extended the line 18 miles south to Brunswick in 1914. The train depot was then moved from Columbus Square to the riverfront near the present U.S. Highway 17 bridge. The depot burned in 1971.

1999.17 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and Lower Altamaha Historical Society. 95-1




Darien's Railroad and Depot
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-HS01