Historic Markers Across Georgia



Port of Darien



Marker ID: GHS 95-3
Location: at park on Darien River at north end of US 17 bridge over river in Darien
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 22.09    W 081° 26.121
  31.36816916    -81.43535789
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PQF
Port of Darien Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

Situated ten miles from the Atlantic near the mouth of the Altamaha River, Darien attained prominence as a seaport in the 1820s. Rice and upland cotton from Georgia´s interior were shipped from the waterfront. From 1870 to 1900, Darien served as the leading international timber center on the east coast through the milling and shipment of yellow pine and cypress rafted down the Altamaha River. With the decline of the timber trade, Darien turned to the commercial harvest of seafood and was homeport to one of Georgia´s largest shrimp boat fleets by the 1940s

2003.1 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Lower Altamaha Historical Society 95-3




Port of Darien
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-HS03