Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ashantilly



Marker ID: GHS 95-5
Location: on Ridge Road (State Road 99), south of Shantilly Road, north of St. Andrews Cemetery Rd., Darien, GA
County: McIntosh
Coordinates: N 31° 22.933    W 081° 24.927
  31.38221666    -81.41545
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Ashantilly Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

Built ca. 1820, Ashantilly was the mainland residence of prominent antebellum planter Thomas Spalding (1774-1851), owner of the nearby Sapelo Island Plantation. The house, likely built by Spalding's slaves, was constructed of tabby, an equal mix of oyster shell, sand, water and lime. Ashantilly was named for Spalding's ancestral home in County Perth, Scotland. He died at Ashantilly and is interred in the family burial ground adjacent to the property. William G. Haynes, Jr. (1908-2001), proprietor of the Ashantilly Press, was the last private owner of Ashantilly. In 1993 the Haynes family donated the property to the Ashantilly Center, Inc.

2009 Georgia Historical Society and The Lower Altamaha Historical Society. 95-5




Ashantilly
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

095-HS05