Historic Markers Across Georgia



Macon County



Marker ID: GHM 096-1
Location: Ga 49 in Oglethorpe at Macon County Health Center
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 17.635    W 084° 3.622
  32.29391445    -84.0603685
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM4TCP
Macon County Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 14, 1837, is named for Nathaniel Macon of North Carolina, President Pro-Tem of the U.S. Senate. The first County Site at Lanier was moved to Oglethorpe in 1854 to be on the railroad. Lanier became a ´lost town´ as did Travelers Rest whose people moved to the railroad at Montezuma two miles away. There was an unsuccessful effort in 1893 to move the County Site to Montezuma. At Willow Lake in this County Sam Rumph and his son Sam Henry Rumph developed the famous Elberta peach named for the latter´s wife.

GHM 096-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Macon County Courthouse
Macon County
Photo by David Seibert



 

096-1