Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lanier/Miona Springs



Marker ID: MCHS 
Location: Ga 128 N of Oglethorpe at County Rd 257 (Minoa Springs Rd)
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 24.246    W 084° 3.884
  32.404105    -84.0647336
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFWC
Lanier/Miona Springs  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Upon the chartering of Macon County, by an Act approved December 29, 1837, the town of Lanier was made the first county seat. Until 1854 it was a bustling center for many of the earliest settlers in the county including Georgia Senator and Brig. Gen. Philip Cook, C.S.A. Its post office (1838-1866) still stands one half mile Northeast of this marker.

Miona Springs, an ancient gather place of American Indians, lies just Northeast of Lanier. With seven major mineral springs, it was appropriated in 1818 by the first White settler, Timothy Barnard.

MACON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, 1994




Lanier/Miona Springs
Photo by Ken Moser



 

096-A2