Historic Markers Across Georgia



Flint River Farms Resettlement Project



Marker ID: GHS 096-11
Location: Flint River Farms School Community Park, Montezuma
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 17.511    W 083° 55.484
  32.291849    -83.924732
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAG0Q
Flint River Farms Resettlement Project Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Flint River Farms Resettlement Projectl


The Flint River Farms Resettlement Project was established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Resettlement Administration in 1937. The Project was one of many similar community resettlement projects organized throughout the South during the New Deal, allowing African-American farmers to purchase land and learn successful farm practices. A community center opened in 1938 which included school buildings and a vocational agriculture shop. Young people received a first- through eleventh-grade education while adults studied vocational agriculture and home economics. In 2003, sixteen of the original 106 families still owned land purchased through the Flint River Farms Resettlement Project.





2005.1 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, The Flint River School
Preservation Society, Inc., New Hope Baptist Church, Shade Arnold
Baptist Church, and Zion Hill Baptist Church
96-1



 

 

096-HS01