Historic Markers Across Georgia



Macon County Training School A Rosenwald School



Marker ID: GHS 096-02
Location: Magnolia Baptist Church, 415 Hosie Waters St, Montezuma, GA
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 18.168    W 084° 1.747
  32.3028    -84.02911666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAG0Q
 



Text:

Macon County Training School
A Rosenwald School


The Macon County Training School (M.C.T.S), built on this site in 1925, was part of the Rosenwald school building program that matched funds from philanthropist Julius Rosenwald with community donations to build schools for African Americans during the era of segregation. By the 1930s one in every five rural southern schools for African Americans had been constructed with aid from the fund. One of two Rosenwald schools in the county, M.C.T.S. offered an alternative to privately funded schools, such as the Lamson-Richardson School in Marshallville. In the 1950s, M.C.T.S. became the main school for African Americans, offering first through twelfth-grade classes. The last class graduated in 1958 when M.C.T.S. closed, though county schools remained segregated. The building was demolished in 1999 and Magnolia Baptist Church was built at this site in 2006.






2016.7 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society
and the Macon County Training School Alumni
96-02



 
Notes:

Dedicated on Sunday, September 18, 2016

More Information:
Wikipedia - Rosenwald School
National Trust for Historic Preservation - Rosenwald Schools, A National Treasure
Wikipedia - Julius Rosenwald
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington

 

096-HS02