Historic Markers Across Georgia



Madison County



Marker ID: GHM 097-1
Location: Courthouse in Danielsville
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 7.488    W 083° 13.272
  34.12480164    -83.22119904
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM2WN
Madison County Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 5, 1811, is named for James Madison, Virginia Democrat, fourth President of the United States, 1809-17. The site for Danielsville was given by Gen. Allen Daniel of Revolutionary fame. In this town was born Dr. Crawford W. Long who first used ether in a surgical operation (1842). Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Nathan Williford, Clerk of Superior Court James Long, Clerk of Inferior Court Samuel Williford, Tax Receiver Britton Sanders Jr., Tax Collector James War Jr., Coroner William Hodge and Surveyor Edward Ware Jr.

GHM 097-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

097-1